Remember Me

Remember Me

Monday, January 12, 2015

Charley's letter dated January 12th, 1915 from France



Western Canada 1915
And on the home front ...
Letter #15.  Written by Charley from the #2 Stationary Hospital in France to his Mom in Viceroy Saskatchewan

January 12, 1915

France


Dear Mother

          Just had a letter from Aunt Rache, and she was saying that you are all the time fretting.  Well there is absolutely no occasion for that as I am just as safe here as at home, and if you saw me with a mustache and as fat as a pig you would laugh yourself sick.  Answered Lavinia's letter tonight she will sure be surprised to hear from me.  I could not think of any thing of interest to tell her but I did the best I could.  It seems too bad that Albert has such hard luck with his investments but they might not be always that way. 

By the time you get this letter you will have heard about our boys at the front. And I guess they will bash a few Huns Helmets too. It’s great to see the spirit between the English and the French.  It would surprise you to see how many of the French can sing “It’s a long way to Tipperary” and it would make you laugh to hear some of the kids trying to sing when they know absolutely no English. 

          It is quite a topic of the day over here about the states and Italy but I guess you hear more about them than we do.  Sometimes I think they are going to be mixed up in it too, and at other times it seems impossible for the states to get in it.

The boys are all gathered round playing the gramophone that the nurses gave us for a Xmas gift.  Aunt Rachie's parcel contained cigarettes, socks and handkerchiefs.  She sent my favourite brand of Turkish cigarettes. I guess I made such a mess around her house with them that she could not forget even the name of them.

          It is funny there is not much action at the front on either side seems they are waiting for some big event to come off and when it does “Let's hope it will be in our favour".  I am learning more French here in the short period we have been here than I ever learnt at College and the pronunciation is all together different to what they teach you in Canada.

          Mother when the war is finished you want to be sure and send me your peoples address in Scotland as it is quite probable that we will be able to get leave for a week or so and I would sure like to see these Scotchmen that you speak so much about.

          As yet we have had no Canuck wounded but I guess about the first lot of them as we are established.  Every day puts us further away from the Germans by the time the Canucks get going they will be along way from here.  Well Mother Remember me to Father and tell him to spare a few minutes to drop a fellow a line or two.  As I am always anxious to hear from any of you.

Bye Bye

Chas









and on the home front ...
This 17 page magazine (which opens as PDF) is worth a read.
"Devoted Entirely to Propaganda for the War"

The Canadian War, January 2015 (PDF)

No comments:

Post a Comment