Remember Me

Remember Me

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Letter #79 July 4th, 1918


July 4th 1918
37 Can For Corps
Can Exped Forces
France

Dear Mother
          As you see I am still with the 37th CFC I have been under the weather for the past few days but I am quite alright again.  It was nothing serious, just simply a touch of La Grippe just enough to make a fellow feel miserable.  Have had several letters from VV the other day and I think one from every kid in her school.  I don’t know if they're cousins of mine or just simply some of VV’s class.  There was one from a Howie and I was wondering if it was one of the Howie’s from that family at High Bluff. 
Yes mother you are of the same opinion as myself.  When are they going to get some of that Richmond crowd over here? The cold footed apron string bunch, if it wasn’t for such kind as those people, Canada would never have had to have conscription.
          Has VV decided to go to Sask for certain yet.  If she does I hope she gets a good place, but believe me she will find it a great deal different than around Portage.  The people are alright out there, but there are so very few of them, that I am afraid she would get awfully lonesome.  You were asking me about what I would like you to send me in your parcels.  Mother I appreciate a parcel but really I don’t need them.  A few smokes is worth more than a ton of cake etc.  You see Mother I have been in the Army so long now that I have long since grown accustomed to Army rations.
          So far nobody has left this unit on leave since the push took place in March, so I guess leave for me is a thing of the past for some time to come.  Things in general are just as usual around here.  The first of July we had a field day running and racing and a Ball game.  It all helps to break the monotony of the everyday army life.
          How has dad been feeling lately.  VV was saying he had got awfully thin lately.  I hope he feels well even if he is losing weight.  Well Mother remember me to Dad and VV and write when you can
Love
Chas






No comments:

Post a Comment