Remember Me

Remember Me

Monday, March 26, 2018

Letter #78, March 26, 1918


(postmark) March 26, 1918

37 Can Forest Comp
Can Exped Force
France
Sgt Bailey CR
#34260

Dear Mother,
Well Mother I received the first letter from you yesterday that I have got since coming back to France.  It was not a very big surprise to hear that you had moved, but I hope by now you are all settled again, as for myself, well Mother the longer I stay here, and the better acquainted I get with the men and officers the more I like this unit.  A person can only guess the nature of the work a unit of this kind carry on by the name of it.  To Canadians and people that come from timbered countries this kind of work is most interesting and I think I can quite safely say that I like it here far better than being in one of those hospitals in England. 
          Is Dad thinking of taking another Hotel or is he going to the farm for this year.  There must be big money in farming these days according to prices of food stuff.  I had a letter from VV but she is very reserved with news, she didn’t say if she intended to take another school stay at home or anything about herself at all. 
Now in regards to this leave for first contingent men, don’t be to anxious Mother, I know you would like to have us all together, once more, but after the three months is over its harder to come away again then ever and if the war is going to end soon, it would be better to stay with a good unit than go home and take a chance on getting with some outfit that you did not like. 
However there is plenty of time, and we can decide later, Mother don’t think I am neglecting my letters, as you know, in France we are only allowed to write a certain amount.  Remember me to Dad and VV and take this note as an apology for a letter Mother, to say I am quite fit and well.
Love Chas





No comments:

Post a Comment