Remember Me

Remember Me

Monday, January 15, 2018

Letter #71 Dec 18, 1917

Ristow Barracks
Shorncliff, Kent
England
Jan 18, 1917

Dear Mother
Ha Ha! Mother you make me laugh. For goodness sake don’t believe what those people try to tell you.  Mother I am further away from being a married man than I was the day I left Winnipeg.  Don’t think that I have lost all sense of reason all together.  (Newman?) if he only knew, happens to be the goat in this case, and the joke is on him.  I didn’t think that it would carry as far a Winnipeg or the rumour would never have started.  But believe me dear Mother you and Dad will be the first to hear of any time I do happen to get crazy enough to get married and you can bet your last dollar that it will never happen for a few years yet and maybe not then.
          Gee I have been laughing to myself all morning.  To think that you and Dad really believed it beats me, the darn fools just want something to talk about.
          Well Mother as you see by the address I have moved or at lest the whole CAMC have moved and I have a dandy job in the office.  Excused from all duties except Office work.  You ask me if I received your parcel. Yes I did Mother and I enjoyed it very much but if I were you I would not spend money sending me eats. Because all this talk of us fellows not getting enough to eat is simply to get people at home to send them parcels.  Every camp has a canteen that all eats and tea and coffee can be obtained at.  I received the smokes and Mother I do enjoy them.  You see in this country Murads can not be got but eats are plentiful and if we don’t spend our money that way it goes some other.
          The weather has set in like as if it meant winter.  Rainy and wet.  Do you know after this war I am going to some country where they never get snow or rain.  I have had enough of it the last few years.  I am not at all surprised to hear the price of wheat is away up and I have been hoping the farm had a good crop.
          Well I have just received VV’s letter and by Jove she has got that idea too.  Mother please do forget it.  It's foolishness and absolutely untrue.  I have to do something now so remember me to Dad and VV and write when you can. I will close now with love
Love
Chas






No comments:

Post a Comment