Remember Me

Remember Me

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Letter #73, January 2, 1918

Ristow Barracks
Shorncliffe Kent England

Dear Mother
          I received your letter of Nov 22nd today and the one written on Dec 10th a few days ago so you see how my mail arrives.  By Jove Mother that was a nice little calling down you gave me I know when I asked you for that money that you were hard up and I said I would give it back to you as soon as I could and not to worry about me being in trouble as I was not but to believe me and some day later I will tell you all about it.
          Now Mother you talk about my nonsense will believe me it’s but very little fun I have had lately or for the last couple of years and when you speak of me troubling and worrying you well Mother it kind of hurts my feelings.  Believe me truly it is not nonsense or craziness Mother I am old enough now to know when to draw the line and since my trip to Winnipeg I have been anything but what was idiotic.  I know I can’t convince you by letters but it won’t be long till you will know for yourself.
          You asked me in your last letter if my friends from Buxton had been writing to me.  Yes they have and I told them it was impossible for me to get up for Christmas. Mother it was simply because I couldn’t afford it and if there had of been any where I would like to have gone it was there.  So you see its but darn little nonsense I am carrying on.  Yes my Christmas, Birthday and News was spent working and working hard.
          Things here are just as usual same old routine day in and day out.  The majority of the civilian population think the war is gong to end this spring at the outside but personally  think if we get home a year from now we will be lucky.  However we can live in hope.  You we speaking about sending me a parcel as mine was blown up.  Mother I know you would like to send me one but really I would much rather you spent the money on yourself or Dad, we get lots to eat and for what it costs to send one over here it is not worth it.  Yes I suppose the Richmond babies are very nice and all that but its men we need over here. Oh well they are enjoying life so let them alone.
Say mother do you ever hear anything about Harry Richmond and his whereabouts.  Well mother I am going to close, tell Dad it will have to be a princess that I marry and a darn good one.  Remember me to VV and Dad and write soon
Love

Chas





No comments:

Post a Comment