Remember Me

Remember Me

Sunday, September 3, 2017

September 3, 1917 Letter #64 "By Jove You Can't Beat the British"

September 3rd, 1917 (postmark)

CAMC Camp
Westenhaugen, Kent England

Dear Mother,
          I just finished a letter to VV and told her I was sending you and her a photo.  The proofs came up all right and the pictures will be along as soon as this letter so I have kept my promise at last.  Gee the kid must feel lonesome out there all by herself and you and Dad must be just about lost.  But as I tell her it won't be long till the war is over and she has had enough experience to teach in a city school and then we will all be together again.  Some people seem to think the war has gone about its limit so let us hope it has.
          As yet there is nothing to tell you in regards what I am going to do or where I am going. There are more here than I have ever saw in the Depot before but I think another big offensive and a lot will be cleared out.  One of my old friends from the Buxton staff landed in here a few days ago and the poor devil got four days punishment before he was here a day. Gee mother is it fierce.  He sleeps in the same hut as myself and I don’t give him a minutes rest.
        Don’t criticize the paper, as it is all that is available at present.  
       The weather here the last week or so is absolutely rotten it is raining all the time and when a person is in camp on wet weather it is miserable.  Especially when you are three miles from a village and eight from a town.
          Did I tell you that I saw the last German Air Squadron that came over here, fifteen machines.  They were spotted away down the coast no sooner had they been seen than our fellows up and after them. They then headed down towards Ramsgate but our planes right on their heels firing away as fast as their guns could fire.  By Jove you can't beat the British, it was just like a big bulldog after a cat the way our men up and after them.  I would have given anything for Dad to have seen it.  Best race I ever saw.  Anyway our fellows got five of their latest giant type machines and the navy got another as they were beating it for home.
          Well how is things in general. I met young Rufus Lions from Portage last night.  Do you know Mother his is as big as I am now.  Gee it's fierce how those kids do grow.  Seem to spring up in a night.  By the way Mother you have never said anything to any of those photos I sent home did you.  I sincerely hope you don’t any way.  Because I don’t want anyone to know.
          How is Dad’s health is he looking any better than he did on the farm.  I hope so.  VV was telling me that the fellow on the farm may not be dishonest but he needed someone to watch him is that right.  I suppose men are so hard to get that he can do very near anything he likes and you can’t fire him.  Well Mother there is nothing here to write about that is of any interest.  I am as well as ever I was as you will see by my photo.  Remember me to Dad and VV and write soon.
Love Chas





No comments:

Post a Comment